DIY Holiday Sled Ornaments
I love a good dollar store DIY. (especially Holiday DIYs)
I thought to myself just the other day. It’s no wonder crafter’s go a little crazy this time of year.
There are so many projects to try and so little time to make them all.
I picked up plaid wood sled ornaments at Dollar Tree* the other day
and couldn’t wait to start decorating on them.
“This is a sponsored post. As a member of the StyleTechCraft Design Team I have been provided product and compensation in exchange for my creative ideas. The views and opinions are my own.
- Plain Wood Sleds from Dollar Tree*
- Plaid Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint: Flamenco Red*, English Ivy Green, and Admiral Blue*
- Walnut Stain*
- Mod Podge Matte*
- Sanding Block*
- StyleTechCraft White Ultra Metallic Glitter Vinyl*
- StyleTechCraft Brushed Gold Chrome Vinyl*
- Silhouette Cameo Electronic Die Cutting Machine*
- StyleTechCraft Vinyl Transfer Tape*
- StyleTechCraft Vinyl Tool Kit*
- Red Gingham Ribbon*, Frosted Jingle Bells and Pine Craft Stem*
- Xyron Multi-Stick Glue Gun*
*Disclosure: This blog uses ads and affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase using one of the links, I receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you) that helps offset the costs of maintaining this blog. Thanks for your support!
- Give the wood sleds a light sanding using fine-grit sandpaper or a sanding block.
- Mask off sections of the sled with removable tape and paint with acrylic paint or stains.
- Lightly sand over the sleds to smooth the grains.
- For a finished look, seal over the painted and stained area with Mod Podge Matte Sealer.
You COULD leave the sled just as they are and be happy. But I decided to take it a step further.
- I love adding StyleTechCraft vinyl to projects to personalize them. (everything’s a little better with vinyl)
- I used my Silhouette Cameo Electronic Die Cutting Machine*and an SVG Holiday File from the Silhouette Store to cut the words out of the vinyl.
- Remove the excess vinyl from in and around the cut letters.
- Place a piece of vinyl transfer tape* over the vinyl words. Rub over the vinyl transfer tape* with a vinyl scraper tool to ensure the vinyl words have transferred. Lift and remove from the backing paper.
- Rub over the vinyl words with the scraper tool to make sure the vinyl words have transferred to the sled.
- Gently lift and remove the transfer paper.
Before I applied the vinyl, I lightly splattered the sled with white acrylic paint and an old toothbrush.
- This is the “Be Merry” sled before and after.
- On this sled I painted the body of the sled with acrylic paint and stained the runners of the sled with a walnut stain.
- I created a small Holiday swag using a small piece of a pine craft stem, jingle bells and ribbon and hot glued it onto the sled.