There’s something about a beautiful sunset that always stops me in my tracks.
No matter how many I’ve seen, I still marvel at all the vibrant, beautiful colors.
After all the fun we had making the Patriotic Tied Dyed Shirts for the 4th of July…
I decided to create a color wash dyed pillow with the colors you might see during a beautiful sunset.
With the help of my 2 year old Grandson this is how we made the pillow:
- We used the Rainbow Tie Dye Kit from Tulip that comes with pre-measured squirt bottles. All you need to do is add water to the bottles and shake to mix.
- Squirt dye onto 12″ canvas pillow square one color at a time starting at the top.
- Dip medium/large paintbrush into water and brush the dye to spread the color.
- Continue with the others colors until canvas pillow square is covered.
- Note: When using a helper who’s only 2 1/2 things can get really wet. (he had fun)
- Cover dyed fabric with plastic wrap to keep damp.
- Let set for 6-8 hours or longer for intense colors. (we waited around 2 hours)
- Rinse well with water until excess dye is removed.
- Fill washer to “large load” setting with hottest water suitable for fabric and a small amount of laundry soap. Wash and dry separately. (Wash separately for the first few washes.)
- Iron the canvas pillow square to get out excess wrinkles.
- To add the word “relax”, I used iron-on embroidered letters from Joy. It’s quick and easy – just preheat your iron to the cotton setting, cover the letters with a cotton cloth and iron for about 30 seconds. I ironed it again from the back of the fabric for another 30 seconds.
- Stuff pillow with a 12″ pillow form.
We also used a 12″ canvas pillow square and a 12″ pillow form.