(project tutorial at Bottom of Post)
Blessings are the Harvest of Kindness
When I create, I create projects for a variety of reasons.
Sometimes the project helps me tell a story.
This particular project reminded me of a sweet exchange that happened between
my mom and a stranger several years ago.
Just a reminder… World Kindness Day is November 13th.
Please take a moment to spread a little kindness.
After eating lunch with my parents and sister at the local Steak and Shake,
Dad got up to pay the bill at the counter. I stayed back to help Mom.
When Mom got up, she noticed a lady sitting at a nearby table and said: “I know her”.
Mom was in later stages of dementia, so I questioned her, “I don’t think we do Mom” I said.
As I was trying to get her to leave, she said: “I want to talk to her, I know her.”
The lady must have heard us and looked up. I quietly asked, “Does she know you?”
Mom had worked at a school for many years and she knew a lot of people that I didn’t.
The lady shook her head no.
Then without missing a beat, the lady got up, put my mom’s hand in hers and said:
“So, you think you know me?” and introduced herself.
After Mom struggled to get her name out, the woman smiled and said: “so nice to meet you”.
And with that, my mom was happy and left the restaurant with a smile on her face.
It only took a minute for this sweet woman to make a difference.
Mom’s been gone for a while now, but, It’s something I’ve never forgotten.
To create the Wood Plaque…
Supplies used: (*affiliate link)
- StyleTech Craft Burgundy Glossy Craft Vinyl*
- Vinyl Transfer Tape*
- Silhouette Cameo Wireless Cutting Machine*
- StyleTechCraft Vinyl Tools*
- 3 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ Thin Wood Rectangle
- Sanding Block*
- DecoArt Americana Country Red Acrylic Paint*
- DecoArt Americana Multi-Surface Muted Gold Acrylic Paint*
- Decoart Americana Multi Surface Inch Worm Acrylic Paint*
- Deco Art Americana Multi Surface Woodland Green Acrylic Paint*
*Disclosure: This blog uses ads and affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase using one of the links, I receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you) that helps offset the costs of maintaining this blog. Thanks for your support!
- Lightly sand the wooden rectangle with the sanding block to prepare the surface for paint.
- Paint four horizontal autumn hued stripes on the wood.
- With a flat dry brush blend the colors together to create a “Fall Rainbow”.
- Lightly sand over the painted surface to smooth the grain of the wood.
- Using an electronic die cutting machine, I cut the words.
- Using a weeding tool carefully remove the negative spaces in and around the letters.
- Place a piece of Vinyl Transfer Tape* over the letters. Rub over the letters using a vinyl scraper tool to help the vinyl cling
- Apply words onto a small wood rectangle.
“This is a sponsored post. As a member of the StyleTechCraft Design Team I have been provided product and compensation in exchange for my creative ideas. The views and opinions are my own.