What to do with a basket of Wood Slices*…
This past summer, when my husband was trimming the old pine tree,
I asked him to save a few logs from the branches.
I wasn’t sure then what I was planning to make but I knew I wanted to save some just in case.
I asked my husband to cut wood slices out of the smaller logs using a circular saw.
If you don’t have access to a pine log or don’t feel like cutting Wood Slices*
you can also purchase them online.
For those of you who don’t want to cut your own Wood Slices*.
You can also find them online by clicking on the pictures↓. (*affiliate link)
Make sure to double check sizes before ordering.
I picked out four wood slices of varying sizes.
I laid out the wood slices to determine placement of how I wanted them to go together.
I drilled small holes on the end of the wood slices with a fine drill bit approx. 1/4-1/2″ into the
end of the wood.
Using small dowel rods or bamboo skewers for reinforcement, I inserted the rods into the
holes with a squirt of DecoArt Americana Wood Glue*. (*affiliate link)
Each wood slice has a small wood dowel piece in between to hold the snowman together.
Once the wood slice snowman was completely dry and stable,
I drilled a hole in the center of the largest wood slice to use as my base.
The Snowman is attached to the base using a small dowel and wood glue*.
To decorate the snowman…
- Cut a piece of flannel slightly larger than the area around the head.
- Fold and glue a small cuff using Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive*.
- Glue the ends of the flannel together to create a tall “tube”.
- Glue tube onto the top of the Wood Slice Snowman’s head,
- Tie the top of the tube with a piece of string or thread.
- Trim and fringe the excess fabric on the top of the tube to make it look like a hat tassel.
- Cut a longer 1″ wide piece of flannel to tie around the neck of the snowman. Don’t forget to fringe the ends.
To make a Reindeer Wood Slice Ornament…
- Paint the center of the wood slice with black chalkboard paint.
- Paint the reindeer cut out with silver acrylic paint.
- Glue reindeer onto wood slice with quick dry glue.
- Glue glitter holly berries embellishment onto reindeer.
- I used a push pin to start a small hole on the end of the wood slice.
- Screw a loop screw into the hole and add a ribbon to hang.
Don’t Miss a Thing…Make Sure to Follow me
Disclaimer: This blog uses ads and affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase using one of the links, I receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you) that helps offset the costs of maintaining this blog. Thanks for your support!