(project tutorial at Bottom of Post)
Blessings are the Harvest of Kindness
When I create, I create projects for a variety of reasons.
Sometimes the project helps me tell a story.
This particular project reminded me of a sweet exchange that happened between
my mom and a stranger several years ago.
Just a reminder… World Kindness Day is November 13th.
Please take a moment to spread a little kindness.
After eating lunch with my parents and sister at the local Steak and Shake,
Dad got up to pay the bill at the counter. I stayed back to help Mom.
When Mom got up, she noticed a lady sitting at a nearby table and said, “I know her”.
Mom was in later stages of dementia, so I questioned her, “I don’t think we do Mom” I said.
As I was trying to get her to leave, she said: “I want to talk to her, I know her.”
The lady must have heard us and looked up. I quietly asked, “Does she know you?”
Mom had worked at a school for many years and she knew a lot of people that I didn’t.
The lady shook her head no.
Then without missing a beat, the lady got up, put my mom’s hand in hers and said:
“So, you think you know me?” and introduced herself.
After Mom struggled to get her name out, the woman smiled and said, “so nice to meet you”.
And with that, my mom was happy and left the restaurant with a smile on her face.
It only took a minute for this sweet woman to make a difference.
Mom’s been gone for a while now, but, It’s something I’ve never forgotten.
To create the Wood Plaque…
Supplies used: (*affiliate link)
- StyleTech Craft Burgundy Glossy Craft Vinyl*
- Vinyl Transfer Tape*
- Silhouette Cameo Electronic Die Cutting Machine*
- StyleTechCraft Vinyl Tools*
- 3 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ Thin Wood Rectangle
- Sanding Block*
- DecoArt Americana Country Red Acrylic Paint*
- DecoArt Americana Multi-Surface Muted Gold Acrylic Paint*
- Decoart Americana Multi Surface Inch Worm Acrylic Paint*
- Deco Art Americana Multi Surface Woodland Green Acrylic Paint*
*Disclosure: This blog uses ads and affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase using one of the links, I receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you) that helps offset the costs of maintaining this blog. Thanks for your support!
- Lightly sand the wooden rectangle with the sanding block to prepare the surface for paint.
- Paint four horizontal autumn hued stripes on the wood.
- With a flat dry brush blend the colors together to create a “Fall Rainbow”.
- Lightly sand over the painted surface to smooth the grain of the wood.
- Using an electronic die cutting machine, I cut the words.
- Using a weeding tool carefully remove the negative spaces in and around the letters.
- Place a piece of Vinyl Transfer Tape* over the letters. Rub over the letters using a vinyl scraper tool to help the vinyl cling
- Apply words onto a small wood rectangle.
“This is a sponsored post. As a member of the StyleTechCraft Design Team I have been provided product and compensation in exchange for my creative ideas. The views and opinions are my own.