The quickest way to spruce up the front porch swing for summer is with new pillows.
And if your a little bit handy and have a sewing machine why not try making a few of your own.
When it comes to sewing I’m very simple and it doesn’t get much easier than this.
A simple stenciled and stitched pillow.
Deco Arts has so many 12″ stencils in a variety of patterns, you’re sure to find one you’d love.
DecoArts® Products Used: (*affiliate link)
- ADS16 American Tribute Stencil*
- Americana® Multi-Surface Satin Acrylics: Dark Scarlet, Cotton Ball, Night Sky
- Splendid Gold Dazzling Metallics® Acrylic Paint
- 14” x 14” Muslin Fabric
- 14” x 14” Red and Cream Ticking Fabric
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber, White, 1 Bag, 12-Ounce*
- Stencil Brush*
- Removal Painters Tape*
- X-ACTO Craft Knife*
- Sewing Machine
- Needle and Thread
- Lay paper under muslin fabric before stenciling.
- Center and tape stencil onto muslin with removable painter’s tape so that the stencil won’t move.
- Work one color at a time and mask off with painter’s tape the areas that won’t be painted.
- Remove the “star section” of the flag using a craft knife and set aside.
- Stenciling is a “dry” brush technique. Using a stencil brush, dip just the tip of your brush into the paint. Tap off excess paint before applying to prevent the paint from seeping under the edges of the stencil.
- Apply paint with stencil brush in a straight up and down motion called stippling.
- Once you’ve added the red, blue and gold colors. Replace the star section of the flag back onto the stencil and stencil the stars with white paint.
- Create a simple pillow by sewing the muslin onto the red and cream ticking fabric.
- Stuff pillow with Poly-fil®.
This project was sponsored by DecoArts.
Disclosure: This blog uses ads and affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase using one of the links, I receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you) that helps offset the costs of maintaining this blog. Thanks for your support!